Nearly at the top?

Why the long silence? I have been completely immersed in this nightmarish database bog – only way to describe my helpless struggles. I’ve already written about my efforts to avoid this task. To no avail; I have been sucked in. Two weeks on and I still have a lot to do.

The software, FileMaker, was on version 5 when I started originally. It is now on version 14! Though Rose and I have only shelled up for upgrades up to 12.  The more I looked at it the more I realized it was a different beast. I have just received the updated manual, all 900 pages – three times the size of my previous edition.

IMG_3109

The more I dipped into my scripts the more I realized that somewhere along the line the code was broken in many places. I have had to plod my way through endless sequences trying to understand and repair – and more difficult for the second edition, all at the same time.

Here for example is my scrawl earlier this week when I tried to make the code for creating cross references work.

xrefs-create

Breaks to walk the dog, snatch the odd snack, do last minute hasty work before cello and Arabic classes, and repairs to mistakes done when working too late (increasing afternoons as well as evenings!) have meant I’m still not finished.

But I’m over the halfway mark and want to hand this over to Rose before the end of the month.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 13.04.09

Print Friendly, PDF & Email